Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Vaccinations

Z does not like having vaccinations. In fact I would go as far as saying he hates having vaccinations! He threw a hissy fit both times I took him to get a dose of the Hep B vaccination he needed for going to school in America. He hears the word vaccination and seems to automatically think about needles. Understandable I guess. Each time he has had a vaccination I have been with him. However he was scheduled to have a dose of the H1N1 swine flu vaccine at school today. No parents were allowed to be in school with their child when they got it done. All Elementary students were getting them done this week and the High School kids have had their postponed for a little while until they have enough doses in. The vaccine that Z would get would either be a jab in the arm or a nasal spray. I would have no idea what he would get until he came home at the end of the school day. If I am truthful I was expecting a call from the school saying he had gotten hysterical and they couldn't give him his dose. No call came. I waited for the school bus at 2.45pm and off he got. He seemed quite happy. I thought maybe they hadn't done it after all. So I asked him about it. Turns out he did get it done. He had the nasal spray and he found it funny as he had to squish one nostril then the other and it made him talk funny! He is due another dose at some point as all kids under 10 need 2 doses but I am not sure when that will be. Although I am a bit more relaxed about it as he is likely to get the nasal spray again and he didn't mind it at all. Relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...