Sunday, November 15, 2009

What A Weekend!

This was the first weekend that we were all able to get out and about as a family without having to walk everywhere. The kids were very pleased about that!

Saturday started with me joining a local Weight Watchers club. The meeting starts at 8.30am so I don't miss out on any of the weekend and first thing in the morning has to be the best time of day to be weighed! Once I was done with fat club I wandered over to Barnes & Noble book stores. It was great. So many books to look at and I could quite happily have wandered around there for ages! I picked up a few books for the kids, some bits to help Z at school, a magazine for each of the kids and a magazine for me. I am waiting for my B&N membership card. I can save upto 40% on some things with it!


Once I was done buying stuff there, Ben and the kids came to pick me up and we went to Meijer to get some groceries and things we needed for the apartment. Once we had everything in the cart and I worked out what coupons we could use, it was time to pay. Over $220! But that was with savings of over $25 and we had not had a chance to do a big shop and buy big items and lots of cans etc since me and the kids arrived. Meijer is open 24 hours a day for 364 days of the year! As we were so long in the store the kids started to get bored and started repeating over and over again that they wanted to go home. So we got a sandwich and drink in the cafe and then headed home. We packed everything away and let the kids watch a bit of Monsters V  Aliens for a bit before we headed out again. This time to Target so I could get a few electric items we needed. We didn't have a kettle, toaster or  mixer (for when I am baking). I also wanted to get an electric toothbrush and Ben needed a new headshaver. I pop into the store and Ben goes round to Sian's house to drop off something she had loaned us that we didn't need anymore. I was merrily going round the store filling my cart and then headed to the register to pay. All going through happily with no problems until the guy scanning everything asked me for id!

What on earth had I bought that required me to show id?! Only thing I had was my UK driving licence and this just confused the guy. Usually he would be shown an Indiana State driving licence and they have barcodes on the back that can be swiped through the till but mine didn't so he would have to manually enter my date of birth. Trying to explain to them (a supervisor turned up to assist) that in the UK we show dates as day then month was more complicated than it really needed to be! What was it that needed me to show id? It turns out it was because I had gotten a packet of regular Tylenol and Tylenol Cold medicine!   I had decided to get them as a 'just in case' precaution. That'll teach me! Once he was happy I was allowed to buy it all he rang it all through. Again it was just over $220! I have never spent that much money in one day before! By the time I got home I was done for the day and just wanted to sit. Sunday was going to be spent walking so I wanted to rest!

When we were done with breakfast on Sunday morning we told the kids what their treat for the day was going to be. We had been teasing them all week but never told them what it was they were going to be doing for the treat. First off we were going to look at a few furniture stores as we hope to buy a couch of some description soon. Although Ben has come up with a novel idea for seating in the lounge. He has taken the back two seats out of the car!

On our way to one of the furniture stores Ben told me to drive for a bit but in doing so I managed to miss a turning and we got lost so I pulled into a car park and we swapped over so he could navigate the rest of the way! Once we were done looking at sofas (I think we may have found one and will probably go back next weekend to buy it) we headed onto the treat. We went to The Children's Museum of Indianapolis.

It is 4 floors of different things for kids to look at and touch, move, feel and play with. At different points in our visit the kids dressed up as dinosaurs, lobsters, seahorses, dogs and a charater from Star Wars Clone Wars! The loved it and walked for ages around all the floors and looking at all the exhibits. There is more stuff coming later this month and they still have to decorate for Christmas and Santa is due November 27th so I think we will definitely be going back! You can get membership for a family for a year so when we next go I think we will go for that and we can use the tickets we bought for this visit towards the cost of the membership.


No comments:

Post a Comment

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...