Sunday, December 27, 2009

Snowy Problems

Ben has been wanting snow for a while now. He missed the last few days of snow as he was working and couldn't play in it with the kids. The Weather Channel had said we were due for snow over the weekend and today it came. We went to Walmart to get a sledge and a snow shovel.



We were then going to go to the Disney Store so the kids could spend their gift card but first we went to look at a possible location for sledding later on. The snow was really coming down now but we went round the corner from Walmart to Cool Creek Park and drove around looking at the park and where we could sled. As we came back down a hilly bit the car skidded on a slippery bit and we lost traction for a second or two. Then we crashed into a car coming the other way. A big chunk of the front of our car was now on the ground and one of the lower lights was hanging off. Luckily no one was hurt. Our car came off worse than the other one.


We had to wait for the police to come to file a police report and Ben and the other driver exchanged insurance details. The police came quite quickly but there was a bit of waiting around to do whilst the paperwork was done. The kids got out the car and ran around in the snow for a bit. After about 30-45 minutes we were able to leave.


The driver of the other car called someone else to come out and take their kids home as their seatbelts didn't seem to be working in the front and they didn't want to risk driving with the kids in the car. As we drove away they were still there with the policeman.


Ben dropped me and the kids off at the apartment and he went to get glue and duck tape to try and tape the front of the car back together again. I had picked up a lot of the debris from the ground after the crash so we would be able to stick it all back together. He parked the car under the car port outside and set to work trying to repair it. The snow was really coming down hard and the wind chill was very cold. Luckily he didn't glue his fingers together or to anything on the car. The front corner of the car is now silver due to all the tape on it and is currently missing a light as that has to be put back in later on. The light is actually sat on the floor by the apartment door at the moment waiting to be put back onto the car!



I have my driving test on Saturday so hopefully there won't be any problems with the car or too much more snow!
If I ever am in a position to buy a new car I know exactly what car I want to get.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah. I couldn't tell you how I happened upon your blog, I click so many links from so many blogs these days, but I am so glad that I did. I have really enjoyed reading about your first months in the US. I am a US citizen living in the UK who will bringing my UK husband and two step children to the US to live next summer.

    I hope your car can be fixed quickly (and cheaply) and GOOD LUCK on your driving test next week. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...