Saturday, January 2, 2010

Driving Test

This morning I took my driving test so I can get an Indiana State driving licence. It should reduce the insurance premiums.

My test was 09.30am so I left at 09.00 to get there in time and sign in. Also to calm my nerves as I hate doing practical type tests! I had to de-ice the car first and that took about 10 minutes! I had left a bottle of water in the car overnight and it was frozen solid! The temperature guage said it was 8 degrees F! That is about -13 in celsius!

I get to the test centre in time, park up and go in. I forget to take in the car registration so have to go back out to get it. The guy who did my test is the same guy who Ben did his with. The whole test was about 10 minutes. Around the block with the odd left and right turn, drive through a school zone and then a parallel park before back to the BMV office. By the way, when I did the parallel park there was only one other car in the street so if I had failed that then I would never drive again!

Most of the test was spent talking with the examiner about our dream cars and driving tests in other parts of the world.

I passed! Woo-Hoo! I now had to deal with the staff in the BMV office. I handed over all my documents. They had checked these before and told me there were all I would need. However, I am apparently missing a second document with my address on so I have to leave and go to the bank to get a statement with my address on it. 5 minutes later I am back in the BMV and hand over all the stuff again. The woman quickly goes through everything and hands back the letter I have from the SSA saying "We don't accept these anymore". (The one that says I am not eligible for a SSN) She then asks for my SSN!!

30 minutes later I get my picture taken and she hands me a slip of paper which has all the information that will be on my licence and shows me the photo. (Not a nice photo either!) My licence will be mailed to me in the next 10 days or so. The DHS have to verify my visa and status in the US.

To celebrate my passing my test I go shopping at the Circle Centre Mall in Indianapolis and get some stuff from Gap, Banana Republic, Victoria's Secret, H&M and Borders.

Behas one out to see Avatar with a guy from work so I have ordered a pizza and am going to watch a chick flick before I go to bed to read one of my new books. Should I choose Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde, I Alex Cross by James Patterson or The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on passing your test! I can imagine how relieved you are. I've never read any of those books, so no help there, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'hotel lady' from Edinburgh!January 5, 2010 at 4:38 PM

    Congrats on passing, knew you would do no problem!! As for the book I am right into James Paterson at the mo (Alex Cross books) can't get enough so it would be no contest for me. Please keep 'blogging' both of you. Would really miss them if you stopped, they are really worthwhile but then again I am biased x

    ReplyDelete

Sweets From Back Home

Are you a fellow Brit abroad?  Do you miss sweets like real Cadbury chocolate, not the Hersheys rubbish? I know personally I have regu...