Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Turn at the Doctor

I have been putting it off for a while but I had to get it over with. I needed to go to see a Doctor as a prescription I had from the UK was about to run out and I needed to get it refilled. I made an appointment with a Doctor at the office next door to where Z & K go. My appointment was at 10am and I was told to fast for 12 hours beforehand so I could have a blood test. Guess who was sat at the dining table this morning eating a bowl of Special K cereal! Oops. I took K with me to the Dr's office and I filled in about 4 pieces of paper with various information, like insurance, past medical problems, disclosure agreement for them to contact my previous Dr to get my medical records (Good luck with that) then I was called to get my weight and BP done. I was then told to undress and put a medical robe on before the doctor came it. I was having a 'well woman' exam. Oh the joy! I had the usual throat, heart and lungs checked. I then had my first ever breast exam. The doctor was a bit surprised that I had never had one before but I said I thought they did them for older women in the UK. I then had a pap smear test. I hate having those done. But at least it is over with for a couple years. I also got her to check a mole I have and she decided to refer me to a dermatologist as it is a bit big and they may want to remove it. It is not in a place I can check easily myself. I then had a tetanus shot and got my prescription refilled. I was there for about an hour. I paid my $20 co-pay as the insurance company will pay the rest. On the receipt I was given it said the cost of my visit was $185. That is also about what the kids appointments cost when they went a couple weeks ago. I have to reschedule a blood test so they can test my blood sugars and cholesterol. It was an interesting morning but at least I have a doctor now. I got my prescription from the nearest pharmacy and because of the insurance we have I only had to pay $10. I have to go back each month to get it refilled and if I go to the same place I went this morning I will get a reward point, then when I get 10 points I get a $10 credit towards a prescription cost. It is all a bit different to the UK and the NHS!

2 comments:

  1. It's standard procedure in the US to get a pap smear every year. If you're on birth control that'll be good for only 1 year then you'll have to go back and get another pap smear. Mammograms are recommended starting at 35 or 40 unless you have a family history of breast cancer, then you can go even earlier.
    You asked who is reading. I'm an American living in Indianapolis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know you have registered at the docs so you can get professional advice to keep well. Moles often get removed if they are in places where they rub against underclothes causing friction which can make them bigger. Aunty J did.

    ReplyDelete

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...