Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cancer is just my astrological sign.

I have just come back from the plastic surgeon where I had my stitches out. As I had not heard anything about the tests on the mole that was removed I thought that meant that everything was fine. After all, no news is good news. Right? Well, sort of. It turns out that the biopsy results came back abnormal. He told me the medical term but it currently escapes me. While the mole was not cancer it was pre-cancerous. If it had not been removed, and it has all been removed, when it was then I ran a very high risk of it becoming a melanoma.

So, what does that mean? Well, I need to go back in 4 months for a check up with the plastic surgeon. (There is always a chance it could grow back). I also need to have a dermatologist for the rest of my life. My plastic surgeon is sending a report to my dermatologist and they will be in touch with me to schedule another appointment. I will probably need to have a full body check so he can see if there are any other moles or areas of my skin that need to be checked. It won't be nice. In fact it will be downright embarrassing. But what is worse? 5 minutes of embarrassment or developing skin cancer?

So for me, right now, and in the future, the only time anyone can ever associate me with Cancer is when they are talking about my star sign. (I don't believe in all that stuff anyway!)


EDIT: I got a letter from my doctor after posting this that I have borderline high cholesterol and my liver enzymes are high and I have to lose 10-20% weight. I am not to take any over the counter medicine like Tylenol if I can help it and I am to go back in 5-6 months for a repeat blood test. On the plus side my blood sugar levels are normal and I am not diabetic.

1 comment:

Sweets From Back Home

Are you a fellow Brit abroad?  Do you miss sweets like real Cadbury chocolate, not the Hersheys rubbish? I know personally I have regu...