Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day

Today is Mothers Day in the US so I got spoiled today. I woke up late to find a tidy apartment and some flowers, a message from the kids, a card and a couple pictures and hand made cards from the kids. Ben had taken them both to the Kids Museum so I could have a relaxing start to the morning and catch up on watching "Fringe". It's not really a show I would want the kids to see.

They came back at lunch time to take me out for a meal. We went to The Cracker Barrel. This is a place I have not been to for about 15 years. The last time I went was when I was an exchange student in Michigan. As it was Mothers Day I was anticipating having a long wait but we walked in and were taken to a table right away. There was a large family of about 7 or 8 that were waiting but we had no problems.

We have discovered that when we order for the kids, even though we are ordering from the kids menu, it is best to choose one thing and ask for 2 plates. Otherwise there is just too much food and it is not eaten. The kids decided to have the chicken tenderloins with mashed potato. (When it came to the table it was clear we made the right decision to ask for 2 plates!) I had the Chicken 'n Dumplings Platter with 3 country vegetables. It was lovely and I am glad I had 3 veggies as K and Z ate most of my carrots. Z even tried green beans without fussing about it too much! Ben had the Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Country Sandwich Platter. All in all it was just the right amount of food. We left feeling like we had eaten just enough and still had room for ice cream. We drove back to Carmel and went to Handel's Homemade Ice Cream. I had the Cocount Creme Pie ice cream in a waffle cone and it was gorgeous. K had some bright pink ice cream with sprinkles that I think was cotton candy flavored. Z opted for the chocolate chip but ended up not liking the big chocolate bits that were in it. Ben had Chocolate Raspberry Truffle but was not expecting it to be so....chocolatey. I won't say what the kids said it looked like!

I have also gotten myself prepared for Mothers Day next year in the UK by getting some Mothers Day cards now and I'm keeping them till next March. There is no way I would be able to get Mothers Day cards here in March! All I need to do now is remember I have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweets From Back Home

Are you a fellow Brit abroad?  Do you miss sweets like real Cadbury chocolate, not the Hersheys rubbish? I know personally I have regu...