Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Once Upon A Time


A while ago, before we moved to the US, I used to make noises about wanting to be a writer. I even started to write a novel but I ran out of steam and lost interest. I even had a blog all about my writing. It has been deleted so you won't find it. It even had a fairly decent Google Page Rank and had lots of links to it and lots of regular readers. But I got taken up with moving over here and the writing took a back seat. That did surprise me a bit as I have a lot of free time so there really is no excuse for me not to write. I am not allowed to work here so I could spend a large chunk of time writing. I suppose at first I didn't as K was not yet at school and it wouldn't be fair to her if I sat on my laptop all day typing. She would get a tad irritated by that. Now, however, both my kids are at school so my days are free for me to do what I want. I volunteer at the school 2 mornings a week but that still leaves 3 days where I can write between 8am and 3pm. I actually started writing again yesterday and managed to get over 1,000 words done. The question is what do I want to write? A novel, a column for a magazine/newspaper or something about being an Expat or something else? In a dream world I would get a call from someone at Random House saying they have read my blog and would love to hear my ideas about writing something, or someone from a womans glossy magazine like Marie Claire saying they want me to write a column for their fabulous magazine. I think I really need to do something as I am going to eventually going to lose my mind. The good news is that I have started writing again and hopefully I will find the motivation to continue it. Who knows if I finish, whatever it is going to be, I could send it off to an agent/publishing house. You don't get anything in this life if you don't work for it. I need to work, and work hard! If anything was to come of it I could possibly qualify for my own visa and that would be awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Argh! I just lost my comment.
    Anyways - Good for you that you're writing again as many people love the idea of writing a book and never do anything about it.
    I suggest looking around for either a writing course or a writers' group. Local colleges often let you attend just one course without having to enroll for a full degree. There are a lot of online courses too, which will get your juices flowing and give you feedback.
    it might sound dauting but the people are just fellow humans after all.

    ReplyDelete

Sweets From Back Home

Are you a fellow Brit abroad?  Do you miss sweets like real Cadbury chocolate, not the Hersheys rubbish? I know personally I have regu...