Thursday, September 23, 2010

Volunteering in Action - Take 2

This morning I did my 2nd volunteering duty at the kids school. I have been in the Media Center twice now and I seem to be getting the hang of it fairly easily. Today I was in the Parent Center and helping the KG kids who are using the computers and listening stations. There was me and one other parent who oddly enough is also quite new to the USA but English is not her first language. Neither of us really knew what we were doing and fumbled through most of it. Luckily the kids had a good idea what they were supposed to be doing. It was all going fine until one of the kids said their computer had gone off. Then they were all saying their computers had gone off! 8 kids all sat at their computers and all looking at blank screens! Why does this always happen to me? Turns out a fuse had blown and it was got sorted quickly. Luckily this was near the end of my Parent Center stint and the kids were all taken back to their classrooms to get ready for lunch. They have their lunch at around 10.20am! Yes they eat lunch while it is still morning!

I left the school and walked down to where our new home is so I could sign the lease and pick up the keys. I also went into the Public Library so I could ask about using a room to meet the Girl Scout people in. Turns out that I can't book a room, I just have to turn up and see if one is free. There has been a slight snag in my being a leader though. It transpires that you need to have a SSN, and I do but it is in my maiden name and I can't get it changed until I have work authorization (no idea when that is going to be). It is being checked with the Girl Scout Council to see if I can still do it.

1 comment:

  1. Just take your marriage certificate along - I did it for about 10 years here!
    And yes, they eat lunch in the morning don't they!? That's because they start school too bloody early and don't eat proper breakfasts. Pop tarts? Pah!

    ReplyDelete

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...