Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Volunteering in Action

I've done it. I completed my first stint volunteering in the Media Center (also known as library) at my kids school. I have signed up to help out every Tuesday from 8.15am until 10am. (This may end up seeming like a mad idea but I'll see how it all pans out) At least I am doing something with my time. I am waiting to hear from K's Kindergarten teacher as I said I would help out in the classroom too. (What am I doing?!)

I arrived at the school at 8.10am yesterday morning and as I walked into the building there were a lot of people stood in the entrance way looking at me. It was kind of unnerving. I wasn't expecting a welcome committee. It turns out the school was doing a 'bus evacuation drill' and they were making sure all the kids got to where they should be. I ended up stood around waiting for about 15 minutes whilst the school finished the drill and the 'Media Center' teacher came back. As I stood waiting I saw my two little people walking down the corridor back to class together holding hands. Isn't that sweet. I know it won't last and I probably should have taken a picture.

Eventually all got back to normal and I was able to do what I volunteered for. I was shown how to process returned books and then where they go. Over the course of about 20 minutes loads of kids came in from their classes carrying big baskets full of books that were to be returned. I was there with 3 other volunteers and we got to work. I eventually left at about 10.40am which is a little bit later than the advertised time!

Whilst I was at the school I asked about what form I need to fill in to notify the school of the kids new address. I also mentioned the fact that as they will be living so close to the school, they will not be able to get a bus so will walk to and from school instead. I was told that everyone is entitled to travel to school by bus no matter how close they live to the school they go to! Seems a bit daft to me for my kids to get a school bus when we move as they could walk to the school in about 5 minutes. I suppose if the weather is bad and I don't want to walk in the rain/snow/gale force winds with them, then they have the option of getting a bus.

K is going to be registering to join the Girl Scouts on Thursday and I will try to get the required uniform for her on Friday as well as the patch adhesive for putting the patches on both her and Z's uniforms. So soon there will be, in no particular order: swim lessons at the Monon Center, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, Cheerleading, PTO Volunteering.

Is there anything else we could be doing that I have not yet discovered?! (We will also have moving home, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas to deal with soon!)

Well that is enough for today. I am off to get dinner ready for tonight. Slow cooker indian chicken stew.

3 comments:

  1. This is just the start. I spend more time at my kids' school than they do I swear! Once you get a reputation as a volunteer, they keep asking you to do more stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, once they you you are a volunteer, they will keep asking, and asking, and asking . . . It is good to be involved though!

    I was stunned today to hear that a local public school district is providing (at taxpayer expense) bussing for kids who go to a private school in the district. Say what? The parents opted out of public education! I taught for 20+ years in privtae schools and the public school district NEVER provided bus transportation for any of our kids.

    My kids' school district won't provide transportation for kids who live within a certain distance of the school - unless there are no sidewalks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the bussing thing is a big part of our weight problems... honestly! I grew up and kids had to walk or have a ride if they lived within a mile or so radius of the school. I had to walk or bike in K and again in middle school.

    ReplyDelete

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...