Friday, November 5, 2010

Fireworks

I like fireworks. I love the 'ooooh' and 'aaaaah' responses they elicit. I have also always enjoyed watching the fireworks displays around the world on New Years Eve/Hogmanay. I especially love the display in my hometown of Edinburgh and one day I would really love to spend New Years in New York City.

Here in the US they also do fireworks on 4th of July. They celebrate the nations independence from Great Britain. There is a whole weekend of things going on. They also have all their patriotism and flags out on display and I love that. I love the fact that Americans can celebrate their country. It is a great way to bring people together and each 4th of July celebration I have been to in the US I have seen all happy, smiley faces. If you love your country you should be able to show it without worrying what people will think about you. If people displayed the Union Jack flag in the UK they would probably be accused of being a member of the BNP. If the people of the UK asked for a day to celebrate all things British they would most likely be accused of being racist or similar and I find that rather sad.

But then St Georges Day is not yet a public holiday in England but St Andrews Day is a Bank Holiday in Scotland, St Davids Day is a public holiday in Wales and St Patricks Day is a public holiday in Republic of Ireland and a Bank Holiday in Northern Ireland. St Patricks Day is even a big deal here in the US and you can't fail to know it is St Patricks Day! For all the time I spent living in England (13 years) there were a few occasions when I did not know it was St Georges Day. I always knew when it was St Andrews Day or Burns Night in Scotland.

The UK also does fireworks on Guy Fawkes night. This is a celebration of a failed attempt to kill King James and everyone in Parliament. Bonfires are lit and the effigy of a 'Guy' is put on top of the bonfire. Is that not a bit sick? Burning something that looks like a person on a big fire?

It is rather unfortunate but I feel the need to state the following. The opinions expressed above are my opinions and my opinions alone.

1 comment:

  1. Funny you should do a post today about fireworks, it being Guy Fawkes day. But it probably wasn't a coincidence. :)

    I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...