Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ice

On the afternoon of Monday January 31st the winter ice storm started. On Wednesday the winter ice storm finished. The kids have not been at school since Monday. They are hoping to go back to school on Friday.

On Tuesday I went out to the car and had a look at home much ice was on it. There was this much ice (see pic on left). It doesn't look too bad but when it covers the entire car it is more than enough!

Today is Thursday February 3rd and I have just spent over an hour trying to clear the ice from the car. (I also helped a neighbor move their car after they got stuck. The ice on the car is now this thick (see pic on right)! It is not completely gone but the front and rear windows are cleared and the doors can be opened.

I am due to drive to Indianapolis tomorrow to get Ben from work so he can drop me at Castelton Square Mall and then watch the kids so I can go out for dinner and a movie with some friends. There is one teeny tiny problem that I need to sort out, besides my fear of driving on the car park that is effectively an ice rink, the wheels of the car are stuck to the ground by ice. I am not sure what I should do. Should I pour boiling water around the wheels to free them from their ice prison?

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I don't think that's a good idea. If you pour tepid water it might work, but if it's really cold it'll only freeze again. Try some bottled anti-freeze.
    Good luck. I'm staying put!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine that the wheels are really stuck. Once you start moving, they'll move. Next time you get the oil changed, ask about the tread on the tires, you may be due for new ones. I got new tires in November and haven't had any trouble. My driveway is nothing but ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With ice that thick, they well may be frozen in. I've freed mine after an ice storm but it took a lot of boiling water and patient careful chipping for hours. Can your neighbors give you a push? With their help, after you have somewhat gotten the worst of the ice away, you may be able to rock the car out. BUT, I would be very hesitant to drive on ice if you don't have experience. You are better off to wait for a thaw even if it takes several days.

    ReplyDelete

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...