Monday, August 8, 2011

Why Hello There!

It's been a while hasn't it?! Thanks to a very talented son of a fellow British Expat here in Carmel, my laptop is now working again and I can blog, tweet, Facebook and so on to my hearts content! (I would highly recommend my friends son, he is a Carmel High School senior as of tomorrow and he knows his stuff when it comes to computers!)

Anyhoo, what have we been up to recently? Well we went on our summer vacation to Walt Disney World in Florida. We drove down, in a hire car, and stopped overnight with some friends in Atlanta before carrying on to Orlando. The kids loved Disney and as K was just the right height for a lot of rides she went on Expedition Everest, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Dinosaur, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain and various other rides. Z was not so keen on the roller coasters but he really liked Kali River Rapids. At first he said he didn't want to go on it but by the end of the day he'd gone on it 3 times! He also went on Splash Mountain but only after I promised to buy him a Captain Sparrow sword from the gift shop. (I think he secretly liked it!)

K also got to meet several characters and she really loved being called a princess by the Disney cast members whilst she was in the line waiting. Z was not so keen on meeting characters as, to quote him "the big heads freak me out!"

We spent a great week in Disney and I got to celebrate my 35th birthday there. Also I got to repeat something that happened when I was at Epcot in 2000. During the visit 11 years ago Ben wanted to go on Test Track and I didn't. As we were arriving at Epcot we were discussing where he would meet me after he had been on the ride. As we walked in we were stopped by a woman who asked me if I would mind taking part in a focus group discussion about Disney. If I agreed to do it they would give me $100. I obviously agreed to do it! Fast forward to 2011 and I am walking in with Z. Ben and K have already rushed ahead as they want to get on Space Mountain. Cue woman with clipboard coming towards me and asking if I would like to take part in a focus group for Disney. Once again if I agree they will give me $100. (But this time as a Disney gift card and not cold hard cash like on 2000). I agree to do it and choose a time when I can have Ben look after Z as kids are not allowed.

At the end of our trip we decided to drive home via New Orleans. The friends we had stayed with in Atlanta were not going to be home on our return trip so we decided to see a bit more of the country. We arrived in New Orleans very late and after a night in a hotel headed north to Nashville, Tennessee, which would be another stop over night in a hotel before continuing on to Indiana. Things were going fine drive from Louisiana and into Mississippi, that is until a storm hit and the car hydroplaned off the road and into a ditch. Luckily Ben is an excellent driver and the car stayed the correct way up. K actually slept through the whole thing and only woke up to ask why were we in a ditch?! In all we were in the ditch about 3 hours and the tow truck which came to rescue us also got stuck in the mud and had to have a tow truck come and pull it out! The driver reminded Ben of Mater from Cars and he could hardly understand a word he said! $175 later and we were once again on our way. We arrived at the hotel in Nashville much later than planned but happy to be uninjured. We had a drive around Nashville the following day and then continued on home to Indiana.

It was a fun and eventful trip. We took over 500 photos and have 65 official Disney PhotoPass photos, mainly of K meeting characters around the parks. If you have a spare hour or two and are so inclined, here are the photos.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you are back and thanks for the great photographs.

    ReplyDelete

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...