Thursday, November 10, 2011

All I Want For Christmas

This year will be my 3rd Christmas in the US. It's not even Thanksgiving yet here but already people are decorating their houses, the Christmas ads are on TV and Christmas movies are coming out. The stores have had Christmas goodies in for weeks already!

I've been told that I am difficult to buy for. I have to give very specific clues to what I want or just simply write out a very precise list which includes the name of the store to get the item from! My favorite things about Christmas are the twinkling lights that decorate peoples homes and line the streets and I love buying gifts for people. The first year here I actually went Christmas gift shopping for Ben, Z & K on Christmas Eve at Castleton Square Mall. Yes, you read that right, I bought ALL of the Christmas gifts for my husband and 2 children the day before Christmas!

I love the fact that my kids are so different when it comes to opening presents. K tears into things and can be done in a matter of minutes while her brother takes his time, he'll open something, look at it and then move on to the next one. I love watching them and the reaction to whatever it is they get, be it a pair of socks, a toy or a bicycle!

My dad has almost always given me money for my birthday or Christmas as he never knows what to get for me. My mum would almost always get me a gift card for a store she knows I like, however since moving to the US it would be a bit difficult to use them! I tend to know what to get for Ben and it helps that he never knows what he wants. K likes things that are pink or have sparkles on them as she is very girly and not at all like me. Z likes dinosaurs and reptiles but I'm not too keen on those so he can keep them for himself. One thing that I do have in common with Z is that he loves books. (K loves to read to but not as much as her brother. She's getting there though.) He absolutely loves to read. He will read almost anything. He prefers non fiction but I am guiding him towards chapter books too. It is important to me that he loves books as it helps him with his ADD. While he finds it difficult to concentrate in class and can play with his pencils or fidget in his seat, when he has a book in his hands he will sit and read it. He reads books that have words in them that I can't even pronounce. I have always loved books too, ever since I was a little girl. At Christmas time I have always gotten a book of some description as a gift for myself and for each of my children. It is something of a tradition that will continue as Z and K get older and I hope if they have children they will do the same.

Christmas is known as being the season of giving. Who doesn't like getting a gift? I know of lots of people who love giving gifts as much as they love getting gifts. Some gifts can't be wrapped though. Sometimes the biggest gift is knowing that you are loved. My favorite Christmas gift I ever got is not something that was wrapped and waiting for me under the tree on Christmas morning. In December 2002 I found out I was getting the best gift ever but I would have to wait 9 months for it to arrive. I found out I was expecting Z.

People want different things for Christmas. Some want a baby whilst some want a new flatscreen TV. Some want to lose weight for the holidays and others want to know the person they are with loves them. That last thing isn't just for the holidays but it is the time that people can become more aware of their life, the people in  it and if they are living their happiest life.

I love to read books and a lot of people get and give books as Christmas gifts. If you are looking for a good book to give to someone then you could try the book written by a writer friend of mine whose second book comes out this month. I read Cally's first book 'Heaven Can Wait' and I really loved it. Her 2nd book is called 'Home For Christmas'. I'm getting my copy as an early Christmas gift to myself and it is currently winging its way to me from the UK as we speak. All the main character wants for Christmas is to hear 3 little words. That goes back to what I was just saying, people want to know they are loved and that they are living their happiest life and are on their way to having their own happy ever after.

Beth Prince has always loved fairytales and now, aged twenty-four, she feels like she's finally on the verge of her own happily ever after. She lives by the seaside, works in the Picturebox - a charming but rundown independent cinema - and has a boyfriend who's so debonair and charming she can't believe her luck! There's just one problem - none of her boyfriends have ever told her they love her and it doesn't look like Aiden's going to say it any time soon. Desperate to hear 'I love you' for the first time Beth takes matters into her own hands - and instantly wishes she hadn't. Just when it seems like her luck can't get any worse, bad news arrives in the devilishly handsome shape of Matt Jones. Matt is the regional director of a multiplex cinema and he's determined to get his hands on the Picturebox by Christmas. Can Beth keep her job, her man and her home or is her romantic-comedy life about to turn into a disaster movie?

1 comment:

  1. You bought all your presents on Christmas Eve? My god I'd have been seriously freaking out! Thanks for taking part in my virtual book launch x

    ReplyDelete

Sweets From Back Home

Are you a fellow Brit abroad?  Do you miss sweets like real Cadbury chocolate, not the Hersheys rubbish? I know personally I have regu...