Monday, August 27, 2012

Confession, I'm a Nerd and Proud.

I admit it. I'm a nerd. Also I freely admit that yes, I am a grown woman and I have a crush on actor Zachary Levi. Yes he is on my 'list'. I actually wrote to him recently, second time ever I have written to a celebrity, to say thanks and that I used him and his company The Nerd Machine, as an example for my kids to show them that being a nerd is not a bad thing. Z is a nerd and he is very conscious of what people think of him. He wants to be a marine biologist or a paleontologist when he grows up. He likes drawing comics and has a unique view of the world. The fact he also wears glasses and is not at all sporty has lead to some people thinking he is a nerd. But, I have now told him that that is not a bad thing. In fact they were paying him a compliment. It just means that he is passionate about something. In fact in his case it means several things. I have things I am passionate about to that could lead people to say I am a nerd. I freely admit it though. I know it's not a bad thing but I am a grown up so can work it out for myself. But it is easier for kids to think it is not good and that they should be ashamed of it.

I myself am such a big nerd that I am hoping to go to Comic Con in San Diego next year. I have registered for a Comic Con member ID and now have to wait to see if I can get ticket. If I go I will also want to go to Zachary Levi's NerdHQ that he has been running for the last 2 years. He raises thousands of dollars for Operation Smile as one of their ambassadors through various activities and does "Conversation for a Cause" at NerdHQ.

Anyway, today me and both Z & K got signed pictures of him in the mail. Z was impressed because he knows who he is, is astounded that a famous person has the same name as him and he remembers our talk about being a nerd. K was impressed as I told her that he voiced the character Flynn Rider in Tangled. He is currently in the UK getting ready to film Thor: The Dark World which I will most likely want to go to the cinema to see it, even though I didn't see the first one until it came out on dvd.

Hopefully soon definition 2 will be the more widely accepted definition of nerd and not the first one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweets From Back Home

Are you a fellow Brit abroad?  Do you miss sweets like real Cadbury chocolate, not the Hersheys rubbish? I know personally I have regu...