Monday, September 3, 2012

I'm So Sweet

Continuing on from the Crunchie bars in my last post. Yesterday I made something that is very similar to Twix bars. One bonus with making your own candy bars is that you can make them as big or as small as you want them to be. US food portions are traditionally huge and the same can be said for a lot of candy bars and candy portions in general. I like Milk Duds, one of the few Hershey chocolates I can actually stomach, and discovered that I can get a 'movie box' for about $2. (This is a lot cheaper than what you actually pay at the movies and yes I do buy them and then sneak them in in my bag along with 2 bottles of Diet Coke. Of course that will need to change as I have recently given up Diet Coke. 2 weeks now and I have not injured anyone yet.)


Anyway, I got a Christmas cookbook the other day and whilst flicking through it I saw a recipe for Caramel Cookie Candy bars and decided they looked really like Twix bars. So, I bought the ingredients, a candy thermometer and set about making them. It is just as well really as all the Crunchie bars I made have now all gone! I will add not by me. The 2 small people I live with seem to have eaten them. I managed to make the new candy bars and there is about 50 of them in the fridge at the moment and I am debating whether or not to freeze some. It would seem though that Ben thinks the cookie base tastes more like shortbread and he is not too keen on that. (He doesn't like shortbread, salt 'n vinegar crisps, meringue and he does like mushy peas. I am amazed we have been married as long as we have been. My next husband had better like everything I do!) That was a joke by the way. I know no one will like everything I like. That was also a joke. 

I am now going to take a break from candy making and get back to working on my cooking of entrees. Seeing as I am at home with nothing to do most days, when not out shopping,  watching daytime tv or painting my toenails and eating bonbons obviously, I have time to cook meals for everyone to have when home from school and work. We've just gotten back from the store after getting everything in for about 2 or 3 weeks worth of meals. That's my time sorted then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...