Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Honor Roll & Terrific Kids

I did fairly well at school. I was an average student. I probably got mainly B grades. Never exceptional but I got by. There was no scheme/program at my High School that acknowledged all the straight A students or students that consistently performed well. There may be now but there wasn't when I was at school.

In the US, and probably other countries, there is the Honor Roll. I never really knew what it was all about. I didn't get on it when I was an Exchange Student in Michigan and never really paid much attention to it.

Today Z & K came home with their report cards for the 1st 9 weeks of school. K is in 2nd Grade and Z is in 3rd Grade. Z started medication for his ADD the day before starting back to school.

K has been chosen as a 'Terrific Kid' Representative for her class and will be recognized at a 'Celebration Ceremony' next week.

Z got all As and 1 B+ and has made the Honor Roll. He will be recognized at a 'Celebration Program' this Thursday.

Some people may not think Honor Roll is a worthwhile thing or something that accurately acknowledges students hard work but I like it. When I told Z his grades, he hadn't looked in his report card envelope so had no idea, and I told him how proud I was of him and how proud his dad and sister were of him too, he smiled the biggest smile. That made my heart happy. Especially when I know how hard it has been for him to adjust to school in the US and to be on medication. I wondered if I was doing the right thing by putting him on meds. I also wondered if I was doing the right thing when we kept him back a grade when we first moved to Indiana. (We put him into 1st grade but moved him to Kindergarten at Christmas break, not long after we moved over.)

I think we have made the right choices for our kids education.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ms German!

    Love your posts! Gives me a real insight to what life is like as an American Briton. Thank you. :-)

    Well, in the UK - the Government has an equivalent of the Honour Roll, it's called the "Gifted and Talented Scheme" or G&T for short. :-)

    We've got it in our school but only up until Year 9, after that it's pretty much meaningless.

    ~ H

    ReplyDelete

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...