Friday, September 6, 2013

September Already! Must Be Time For An Update.

Last time I posted here it was July and we were getting ready for our
vacation to California. It is now September and a lot has gone on since then.

Yes, we had our vacation and it was great.

We went to San Diego and I went to Comic Con and NerdHQ and met Zachary Levi. We saw a lot of cool things around San Diego that were out around the convention center.

We went to Los Angeles of course we went to Disneyland and Universal Studios theme parks.

We also saw the Hollywood sign and drove around looking at the sights.

We saw the smog and a lot of expensive homes in the Hollywood hills.

We went to San Francisco and saw the Golden Gate Bridge and I found myself
200ft up in a Redwood tree. We went to a museum where I drank out of a toilet. There is a video of my ziplining exploits at the end of this post.

We came back to South Carolina and got ready for going back to school. K went to a friends birthday party that was a horse riding party. Z had his 10th birthday and decided to make a donation to a food bank in honor of his birthday and we chose Crisis Ministries of Charleston

The kids started 3rd and 4th grade and I reclaimed my mornings.

I started running again and got 2 5K personal bests in the space of 7 days.

I have continued with my detox but I think that may come to an end due to what happened next.

Yesterday I found myself in the ER with a pain in my chest and back and as a result I was hyperventilating. I could barely walk into the Emergency Room as I was in so much pain. Unfortunately we had to take the kids with us as it was 6am and they had to go to school from the hospital. I was hoping to wait until they left for school before Ben took me to to the ER but he overruled me and decided we needed to go sooner rather than later.

Luckily they saw me before they left for school and I was a lot better. K told her teacher what had happened that morning and her teacher called me to see how I was doing, which I thought was very nice of her.

I had an EKG, an ultrasound scan, 3 doses of morphine and 1 other pain
medication. I was subsequently told I have gall stones and need to have my gall bladder removed. I came home with a prescription for pain and anti nausea medication.

Since Googling it I have discovered that it is hereditary and this would seem to make sense as my mother had the same procedure done just a
few weeks ago. She had it done on the NHS though and I am having it done in the American medical system.

Mainly a financial difference there. It looks like it will cost, before insurance, about $12,000! We should only be liable for about $1,500 of that though, hopefully.

I now need to follow a low fat diet so I won't be making use of the $500 Dunkin Donuts
gift cards I won a couple weeks ago! Yes really! I won $500 worth of gift cards. They are in the mail to me this week.

I have already told K's Girl Scout troop they will be having some donuts. As will Ben's work and the kids classes in school. I have also said I will get donuts for the staff/faculty monthly meeting at the kids school.

The kids and I also had our first visit to a dentist here in SC. Yes, I know we
have been here a year and we should have been before now but I am terrified of dentists and I am a procrastinator extraordinaire. It looks like the 3 of us will have braces in our future!

A lot has happened in between my last blog post and this one and I am sure I have missed something. I took almost 2,000 photos while we were on vacation but there is no way I could share anyway close to that many pictures here!

4 comments:

  1. I sympathise with you greatly here. My husband suffers from gall stones and kidney stones. He had to have a minor procedure to remove the gall stones but they did not removed his gall bladder. He should be on a special diet, but as I am not there to watch over him he is doing the man thing and surviving on toaster pockets - ugh!
    I hope it all goes well for you.

    Molly xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for finding my blog. Yours is very interesting. We were down your way about 6months ago staying in McClellanville. It is beautiful down there. We are not here forever, unfortunately, my husband is on a work visa, and we tagged along. Hoping to go somewhere else after the states! I have liked your Facebook page, could I ask you to return the favor? I am also on twitter @HgmTravel.

    Good luck with the gall stones, you could finish up reading my blog while recovering, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving you blog!!!

    Loving it so much, that I have nominated you for The Sunshine Awards!!! You can find details of it here on my blog:

    http://claregosling55.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-sunshine-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad to read you again. Thanks for this post.
    Best for you Buddy!

    ReplyDelete

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...