Friday, August 25, 2017

14 year olds & Green Cards


Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14?
Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why.

My son, Z, turns 14 this weekend, and we have just submitted the online I-90 form to get him a new green card. If you file the paperwork within 30 days of your kid turning 14 you only need to pay the biometrics fee of $85. If you wait too long you will need to also pay $455 filing fee. Hence me making sure my son's application is filed 2 days before his 14th birthday.

We have not received a receipt in the mail yet, but I got email notification of receipt and I have seen a digital copy of it.

We should receive an appointment within 2 weeks to take him to get biometrics done, and then he should get his new card within a year. (There is apparently a delay on new cards being sent out)

Here is where you can get all the information you need about filing a I-90 and here is where you can start an online application. You will need create an online account to do that though. Tips for Filing I-90 Online

Usually when kids are signed out of school early I see stuff like "doctors appointment", "dentist appointment", "family emergency" type of thing written down on the sign out sheet at my kids school. I am slightly looking forward to writing down USCIS on it and seeing the look on the front desk persons face when they check it.

1 comment:

  1. Meanwhile I will be signing my 14 year old son out early and writing "Emergency orthodontal visit". Now back in the UK and the retainers we got just before we left the US both now seem to hurt" and he's telling me he can feel his teeth moving back. Argh!

    ReplyDelete

14 year olds & Green Cards

Did you know that you need to get a new green card when you turn 14? Do you know the reason why? No really, I'd like to know why. ...